For the most up-to-date information on the coronavirus COVID-19 visit For more information about Governor Abbott's executive order on mandatory face coverings for Texans visit this link.

The mission of the City Attorney is to represent the City by providing professional, effective and ethical legal assistance to the City Council, City Manager and all other City departments and boards. The City Attorney's Office cannot provide legal advice or representation to citizens.  

The City of San Angelo faces a vast number of varied legal matters. These include: contracts, real estate transactions, economic development, claims against the City for damages, litigation, employment law, civil service regulations, lake lot sales and leases, water and sewer services, issues related to providing a cemetery, a museum, an airport, parks, recreational facilities, police protection, and water and sewer services; collections, eminent domain, bankruptcy, prosecution of cases in Municipal Court, code enforcement, open meetings and open records, and more. It is the role of the Office of the City Attorney to advise the City in these legal matters, represent the City in court, conduct research, attend City Council and board meetings as required, and draft or review documents relating to all of the above.


Does the City Attorney's Office handle landlord/tenant disputes, divorces or any other personal legal problem I may have?

No. The City Attorney represents the City of San Angelo as a municipal entity and cannot represent individual citizens in private legal matters.

If an individual desires legal representation in a private matter, he or she must retain an attorney who has a private practice. The State Bar of Texas has a toll free number for lawyer referral 1-800-252-9690 or you can visit its website at

If the individual makes below a designated income level and qualifies for legal assistance, Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas325-653-6982, may provide legal aid. It charges fees based upon a qualifying client's income.

What can the City do when a neighbor’s tree limbs extend over the property onto my property?

Neighborhood disputes are best handled by approaching the neighbor and attempting to arrive at a solution acceptable to both parties. However, this is a private legal matter for which the City Attorney's office can offer no legal advice.

Where can I find out what real property the city has to sell?

Contact the City of San Angelo's Real Estate Division at 325-657-4212.

Does the City Attorney's Office handle child support issues?

No, child support is handled through the Texas Attorney General’s Office. Its number is 325-653-7326.

Who handles trash, weeds and junk vehicle complaints?

The City of San Angelo's Code Compliance Division investigates complaints regarding trash, weeds, junk vehicles and other possible code violations. If you have a problem in your neighborhood, contact Code Compliance at 325-657-4409.