Changes due to coronavirus (COVID-19)
City services, including trash services, are still in operation.
The Division can be reached daily by phone or email. If a face-to-face meeting is necessary, a meeting time and place can be scheduled. Please contact the Division for any questions you may have.
Solid Waste (Trash)
The Operations Department is responsible for monitoring the collection of residential and non-residential solid waste within the City of San Angelo and monitoring landfill operations (i.e. cell closures, new cell development, Texas Commission of Environmental Quality regulatory activities, purchase of additional land for future landfill needs, etc.).
- Interactive trash collection map
- When is my next bulk or recycle collection? (Click on the link below for your region)
- Disability exemption request form
- Republic Services 325-481-7700
- Landfill 325-481-7701
- 3002 Old Ballinger Highway
- Additional cart form (monthly fee of $5.77 for trash and $1.44 for recyclables).
- Residential collections can be established by calling the Water Customer Service Division at 325-657-4323.
Automated pickup and curbside recycling
What day is my trash collected? (click here for map)
When is my next bulk or recycle collection? (visit the links at the top of the page to see your region)
Residential garbage collection occurs once a week. On the same day, a separate truck will pick up either recyclables or bulk trash items; collection of those will alternate every other week.. Pickup will typically occur on the front curb if most of the homes on a street have front garages or in the alley if that’s where most of the homes’ garages are located.
Special pick-up services are available at no additional charge to disabled customers who cannot move the carts. To receive that service, customers must fill out and submit this disability exemption request form.
Each home’s tan-colored trash cart should be reserved for bagged household waste and bagged grass clippings and weeds. On the same day the tan cart is emptied, a separate truck will come by to either pick up bulk items or empty the home’s green cart of the recyclables inside. Recyclables should not be bagged.
By 7 a.m. on collection day, customers should roll their carts, which are easy to move and maneuver, to their front curb or within 2 feet of the alley, depending upon a home's collection location. (Many customers put their carts out the evening before.) The cart’s handles should be facing backward, toward the home. Carts and bulk items need to be placed at least 3 feet (approximately one medium-sized step) from each other, from trees and from mailboxes, and at least 5 feet from any parked vehicles. This ensures the carts can be emptied via the controls inside the new automated trucks. Improper bin placement forces Republic personnel to leave the truck, slowing service.
Once emptied, customers should return their carts to their homes by noon the following day.
Trash pickup is subject to be interrupted by six holidays: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. If a holiday occurs on a day regularly scheduled for trash pickup, check this website's News page or the City's Facebook page for how residential garbage pickup will be affected.
Bulk trash pickup alternates every other week with recyclable collection. Residential customers can learn when their bulk trash and their recyclables will be picked up with this interactive map and red region calendar or blue region calendar.
Tan garbage bins are emptied weekly.
The maps divide each collection day into a red zone and a blue zone. The calendar shows which weeks in each zone that bulk trash will be picked up and which weeks recyclables will be collected.
Garbage and recyclables will continue to be picked up on the same day and in the same location for customers. Bulk items should be placed at least 3 feet away from the tan bin to avoid interfering with weekly trash collection.
Bulk item collection amounts are limited to 5 cubic yards (roughly size of pickup bed or 15 bags of yard waste)
Bulk items include:
- Barbecue grills without propane tanks
- Wooden pallets
- Bags of yard waste (max 15 bags)
- Brush and limbs cut and bundled in lengths of no more than 4 feet.
Non-acceptable bulk items include:
- Household trash
- Construction materials
- Hazardous waste
- Roofing materials
- Propane tanks
- Soil and rocks.
Christmas tree disposal: Citizens can set their Christmas tree out during their scheduled bulk collection day for disposal. Citizens should remove the ornaments from the tree but are not required to cut the tree in order for it to be collected.
All except hazardous materials (such as paint) and propane tanks can be taken to the landfill. City water customers who bring a bill and a photo ID with a corresponding address to the landfill can get one free monthly dumping.
Citizens can assist in the collection service by:
- Properly placing their bins and bulk items in their collection spot by 7 a.m. on their pickup day.
- Placing all materials inside one of the provided bins. Waste left on the ground or in a personal trash container will not be picked up.
- Bagging the garbage placed in the tan bins, which prevents trash from being spilled.
- Recyclables should not be bagged before being placed in the green bin.
- Filling out an online request for additional bins if they wish to have more garbage or recycling carts. The form is available on the right-hand sidebar of this page.
- Removing bins from streets once they have been emptied.
- Calling Republic Services at 325-481-7700 or visiting cosatx.us/SolidWaste if you have questions.
Residential collections will occur once a week. For details about residential collections, see Chapter 11.04.001-.002 of the Code of Ordinances. Charges for residential collections are billed on the monthly municipal services statement (commonly called "the water bill"). Fees for residential collections can be found in this chart.
Regulations for garbage collection have been codified in Chapter 11.04 of the City of San Angelo's Code of Ordinances. The City contracts with Republic Services for garbage collection. Contact Republic by calling 325-481-7700 or visiting republicservices.com.