For the most up-to-date information on the coronavirus COVID-19 visit For more information about Governor Abbott's executive order on mandatory face coverings for Texans visit this link.

Environmental Health enforces Chapter 7: Health and Sanitation of the City's Code of Ordinances, which deals with food service, pools and public health nuisances. Courtesy environmental inspections for Texas Department of State Health Services are also offered for foster homes, day cares, 24-hour residential care and adoptions. 

For more information about any of our services or to file a complaint against a food establishment or other public health nuisance, call 325-657-4493

Property owners are responsible for the extermination of bees on their property. Because Africanized bees and regular honeybees look the same and testing to distinguish the difference is expensive, the Health Department recommends any hive of aggressive bees be exterminated. 

While the City of San Angelo does not have a bee program, the City will control bees in water meters and other public property, such as public parks. If such a case occurs, call the non-emergency dispatch number, 325-657-4315.  

Many of the local bug exterminator businesses exterminate bees. Call them for service availability and pricing. A second option is to call a local honey beekeeper who may be able to assist you in the extermination of the hive. Currently on our list of local honey beekeepers are:

Retail food establishment inspections
The Environmental Health Division issues permits and conducts routine inspections of retail food establishments such as restaurants; other facilities that serve food, including schools and hospitals; as well as convenience stores, grocery stores, nightclubs/bars and mobile food units. Additionally, temporary food booths associated with special events are also permitted and inspected. Inspections are performed to ensure the food that is prepared for public consumption is prepared and provided in a safe and sanitary manner. Inspections are based on the Texas Food Establishment Rules (TFER). All routine food establishment inspections are unannounced.

For more about food inspections, including copies of recent reports, click here.

Obtaining retail food establishment, mobile unit or temporary event health permits

The Environmental Health Division has developed various forms and guidelines to assist you in the food service application process. The division issues permits for retail food establishments, mobile units and temporary events at which food is sold or given away to the public.  

The application processes ensure that Texas Food Establishment Rules, as well as applicable City codes are adhered to. The pre-permit documentation form guarantees each City division responsible for regulating a portion of retail, mobile or temporary food establishments has been contacted. 

If a retail food establishment is a new construction, renovation or remodel, then please submit plans to the Permits and Inspections Division, which will contact Environmental Health for a plan review. The use of the worksheet form will assist with this process. Permits and Inspections must also be notified at 325-657-4420 if you are changing the occupancy of the building.

If needed, an initial pre-inspection and walk-through can be performed if you are planning to purchase or lease a location. Once all items on the pre-inspection have been corrected and all equipment is in operating condition, a final inspection can be requested by calling Environmental Health at 325-657-4493.

With regards to mobile food establishments, a commissary or base of operations is of the utmost importance. The commissary is a permitted facility or other retail food establishment where the mobile unit is cleaned, serviced and parked when not in use. The commissary is also used to store any additional items, where food preparation occurs, and where trash and wastewater is taken and discarded. A home CANNOT be a commissary or base of operation. The mobile food establishment checklist will assist you in making sure all necessary components of a mobile unit are available prior to inspection.

If you do not own your own commissary, but are using someone else’s retail food establishment, a commissary agreement form must be submitted along with a mobile food establishment application. Additionally, mobile restroom agreement and commissary visit log forms must be kept on the mobile unit; a copy of the mobile restroom agreement must also be submitted with the application. You will also need to contact Permits and Inspections and the Fire Prevention divisions for any other mobile kitchen guidelines or grease trap requirements. 

An itinerant merchants permit is also required by anyone with a mobile unit. Call the Records Division of the Police Department for more information at 325-657-4250; the pre-permit documentation form must be signed and approved by all applicable City divisions (Planning, Permits and Inspections, Fire Prevention, and Environmental Health) before applying for the merchant’s permit.

A temporary health permit must be obtained for an event in which food is prepared and served to the general public. Temporary permits are required whether the food is sold or given away. The event coordinator has certain responsibilities that are outlined in the temporary event coordinator form. Other temporary event participants need only submit application and review the guidelines in the temporary food service packet. Some events may require an itinerant merchant permit; use the pre-permit documentation form during your process. 

Permits are non-transferable in the event of a change of ownership, location, commissary or mobile unit. Permit fees are prorated and determined based on the time of application. All permits expire on Jan. 31.       

For more information regarding these and other requirements, or to obtain current applicable fees, call 325-657-4493. All documents referenced may be downloaded on this page or a paper copy may be picked up in the Environmental Health office on the second floor of City Hall, 72 W. College Ave.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer