The mission of the Fire Prevention Division (also known as the Fire Marshal's Office, a division of the San Angelo Fire Department) is to protect life and property from the threat of fire and explosion.
These tasks are accomplished through education, inspections and investigations. An investigator is always on call, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, to handle investigations. Some of the types of investigations that may be conducted are:
- Fire death and injury investigations.
- Fire and arson investigations in which structure fires are investigated to determine origin and cause.
- Bomb threats.
These activities provide for a safer environment in which our citizens reside. We are continually evolving in order to better serve our community.
Public Information Requests
Report an arson
Do you have information about a fire that may be intentionally set? Any information provided to our office will be thoroughly vetted. Email your tips to firstname.lastname@example.org. When emailing, please include the address where the fire took place and the approximate date when the fire occurred, along with your information so we may follow up with you. You may remain anonymous at your request. If you would like to speak to someone, call our office at 325-657-4358 and ask to speak to an arson investigator.
Report a fire code violation
Information about fire code violations may be emailed to email@example.com. These emails will be routed to the fire inspector assigned to the district in which the violation occurs.
Fire code violations include but are not limited to: outdoor burning; high-piled combustible storage; unsafe storage of flammable and combustible liquids; locked or blocked exit doors in any building open to the public; non-working fire protection devices inside buildings open to the public or multi-family housing, such as apartment buildings, nursing homes, or residential board and care facilities.
You may also email complaints on abandoned or substandard structures you believe pose a safety issue. If you are unsure whether the specific issue you are calling about is a violation, email your name and phone number so we can follow up with you, or call our office at 325-657-4358 and ask to speak with a fire inspector.
Functions of Fire Prevention
Minimize death, injury and property loss due to fire and/or explosion.
• To conduct routine inspections on all commercial occupancies in San Angelo.
• To enforce the adopted fire codes and ordinances with emphasis on life safety.
• To ensure minimal property loss through the plan review process. This includes remodels and new construction.
Educate the citizens about causes of fires and their prevention, focusing primarily on school-aged children.
• To conduct in-service training programs for institutional facilities and other businesses as requested.
• To conduct fire safety education in schools through Fire Prevention Week programs and the Fire Safety Trailer.
• To educate the general public by release of information at fire scenes to prevent similar fire incidents.
Through investigations and prosecutions, remove criminals from the community who intentionally set fires and make bomb threats.
• To educate the investigators on the latest information available in order to apprehend arsonists.
• To employ combined efforts with Fire Marshal's office and the District Attorney’s Office to prosecute arsonists and people making bomb threats.