City investigating water billing security breach
Nov. 13, 2019
Some water customers may have noticed irregularities with their credit and debit card accounts after recently paying their monthly statement through the City’s online payment system.
Water customers who make online payments are advised to monitor their accounts for unauthorized charges. The City’s third-party vendor is analyzing data to determine the extent of any security breaches and has provided a preliminary time frame for those affected to have occurred from late August to mid-October. As soon as more data is uncovered, the information will be reported to all affected customers. If the vendor finds that the system was vulnerable, then customers who made credit card payments during that period will be contacted by mail.
The online “One-time” payment option has been temporarily disabled. Payments may be made by calling (325) 657-4323 or via cash, check or credit card from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays at City Hall Annex, 301 W. Beauregard Ave. A 24-hour dropbox is also available at City Hall Annex.
All updates will be shared with the media, on the City of San Angelo, Texas – Public Information Facebook page and the City’s website at cosatx.us/water.
The Billing & Receipts Division serves the citizens and the City of San Angelo through timely and accountable records of general accounts receivable, utility billing and cash receipts, and by offering a variety of payment options.
Ways to pay
Five avenues exist for paying a City of San Angelo municipal services statement. You will need your account number.
* Online - Visit the City’s website. Online credit card payments can be made month-to-month or by establishing an automatically recurring payment. Online payments are unavailable from 10 p.m.-2 a.m. daily and from 3:30 a.m.-4:30 a.m. Mondays for system updates.
* Mail - Mail a payment to the City of San Angelo Utility Billing/Collections, P.O. Box 5820, San Angelo, TX 76902. Make checks payable to City of San Angelo-Water or COSA-Water.
* In person - Bring payments to the Utility Billing/Collections office at 301 W. Beauregard Ave. Business hours are 8 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays. An overnight drop box in the drive-through is available for after-hour payments.
* Bank draft – You may set up an automatic monthly draft on your bank account. To establish a draft, visit the Utility/Billing Collections office at 301 W. Beauregard Ave, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays.
* Phone – You may also call Customer Service at 325-657-4323 and select the option to make a payment over-the-phone. Long-distance users may call 855-419-2758. Phone payments are unavailable from 10 p.m.-2 a.m. daily and from 3:30 a.m.-4:30 a.m. Mondays for system updates.
For more information about the municipal services statement and payments, call 325-657-4323.
For an explanation of the charges on your municipal services statement, visit the Water Customer Service page.