Online customers should seek new credit cards
San Angelo water customers who made one-time online payments between June 17 and Aug. 16 are advised to contact their financial institutions and request a replacement card if they have not already done so.
The City has received the results of a forensics investigation regarding a breach last month to a vendor’s online water payment system. The investigation found that malware skimmed credit card information from the contracted vendor’s server from June 17-Aug. 16. Only online one-time payments – as opposed to payments automatically drafted from a credit card – were at risk. Credit card payments made via auto-pay, by phone or in person were not compromised.
“Replacing a credit card is a hassle; we understand and apologize for that,” Water Utilities Director Allison Strube said. “But we would much rather that inconvenience not be compounded by customers also having to clear unauthorized purchases. We have worked with our vendor to prevent this from happening again.”
Upon learning of the breach, the City disabled all but phone credit card payments until the vendor that processes online payments could update its software and transition to a more secure platform. Online payments at cosatx.us/waterbill were restored Aug. 21.
Customers were advised last month to monitor their credit card accounts for unauthorized charges. Many customers were forced to seek new cards after experiencing unauthorized purchases. Those who did not are still advised to request a replacement card. Skimmed credit card information is often sold well after a breach occurs; illegal purchases may appear weeks or months later.
A letter will be mailed to all customers who made online credit card payments explaining the compromise to the one-time online transactions. The breach did not increase the amount of a customer’s monthly bill.
Billing & Receipts
The Billing & Receipts Division serves the citizens and the City of San Angelo through timely and accountable records of general accounts receivable, utility billing and cash receipts, and by offering a variety of payment options.
Ways to pay
Five avenues exist for paying a City of San Angelo municipal services statement. You will need your account number.
* Online - Visit the City’s website. Online credit card payments can be made month-to-month or by establishing an automatically recurring payment. Online payments are unavailable from 10 p.m.-2 a.m. daily and from 3:30 a.m.-4:30 a.m. Mondays for system updates.
* Mail - Mail a payment to the City of San Angelo Utility Billing/Collections, P.O. Box 5820, San Angelo, TX 76902. Make checks payable to City of San Angelo-Water or COSA-Water.
* In person - Bring payments to the Utility Billing/Collections office at 301 W. Beauregard Ave. Business hours are 8 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays. An overnight drop box in the drive-through is available for after-hour payments.
* Bank draft – You may set up an automatic monthly draft on your bank account. To establish a draft, visit the Utility/Billing Collections office at 301 W. Beauregard Ave, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays.
* Phone – You may also call Customer Service at 325-657-4323 and select the option to make a payment over-the-phone. Long-distance users may call 855-419-2758. Phone payments are unavailable from 10 p.m.-2 a.m. daily and from 3:30 a.m.-4:30 a.m. Mondays for system updates.
For more information about the municipal services statement and payments, call 325-657-4323.
For an explanation of the charges on your municipal services statement, visit the Water Customer Service page.